img
Home / Live & Eat Healthy / Eating and Living Healthy Tips / 11 Foods We Eat That Are Actually Poisonous

11 Foods We Eat That Are Actually Poisonous

There are many things in the world that can kill us but we typically consider our veggies and fruits a pretty safe bet. So it may come as a surprise to hear that many foods that you eat every day are actually quite poisonous and should be eaten with proper precautions. Here are 11 common every day foods that are actually poisonous.

1. Nutmeg

nutmeg-e1439142528665

It’s known as a hallucinogen that’s right in your kitchen. Reports after ingesting just a teaspoon of nutmeg show horrible psychological effects and even worse side effects. They include nausea, elevated heart rate, dry mouth, vomiting, which can last for several days. Other side effects such as loss of balance and lack of concentration can last over a week. It’s best to save the nutmeg for your spice rack.

2. Mushrooms

death-cap-mushrooms-deadly-e1439142506239

Mushrooms have been dubbed world saviors as they could potentially clean up anything from oil spills to nuclear meltdowns. They are quite nutritious as well, however, 5% of mushrooms are toxic. While some mushrooms that are poisonous are brightly colored and easy to tell, most of the deadliest mushrooms have a relatively unexciting exterior. For example, one of the deadliest mushrooms in the world is called the Death Cap, and rightfully so as its earned its name by being responsible for the death of Roman emperor Claudius, Russian tsar, and a pope. Its appearance its similar to several edible mushrooms.

3. Kidney beans

kidney-beans-poisonous-e1439142493164

They contain large amounts of the glycoprotein lectin. As few as four uncooked beans could cause extreme nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Many cases related to kidney poisoning were due to “slow cookers” which did not reach a high enough temperature to destroy the lectin.

4. Apples

apple-seeds-poisonous

Innocent looking apple seeds contain cyanide. Cyanide is extremely toxic to humans and has been linked to many famous murders and suicides. If enough of them are eaten, it can cause vomiting and other side effects. Peach and apricot pits also contain cyanide.

5. Puffer Fish

puffer-fish-japansese-delicacy-poison

A fish considered delicacy by the Japanese, can actually cause paralysis or even death if not prepared correctly. Typically, chefs spend 3  or more years in training so they can prepare this dangerous delicacy.

6. Tomatoes

tomato-plant-poison-e1439142420632

Tomatine is a toxin that is typically found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants. Large quantities are reported in green tomatoes, however no tomato poisoning cases have been reported thus far and tomatoes are considered safe to consume.

7. Brazil nuts

brazil-nuts-radioactive-e1439142396970

One of the most radioactive foods that we consume, Brazil nuts are 1000x more radioactive than other foods. However, majority of this is not retained by your body and in moderation, Brazil nuts are typically considered a very healthy food. Another radioactive food that we consume every day is the banana.

8. Potatoes

potatoes-poison-e1439142295770

While death by potato poisoning is quite rare it is not unheard of. They contain excessive amounts of solanine which could lead to poisoning. Eating enough green potatoes could kill you.

9. Rhubarb

rhubarb-poisonSurprisingly its not the Rhubarb’s red stem that is dangerous, but the green leaves which contain oxalic acid. It can lead to formation of kidney stones, and if enough leaves are eaten, it can kill you.

10. Cherries

cherries-cyanide-e1439142215634Another delicious yet deadly fruit as the pits contain hydrogen cyanide which can cause breathing difficulties, vomiting, and possibly kidney failure. It is especially dangerous for pets to consume. However, most pits, even when ingested by humans will pass straight through your system without being digested and most likely won’t cause poisoning.

11. Raw Cashews

cashews-poison-ivy-deadly

Believe it or not, the “raw” cashews in your local supermarket are not actually raw and have been treated with steam urushiol, a chemical that’s also present in poison ivy. Consuming this chemical will lead to similar effects to poison ivy and can possibly even kill you.

Looking for more awesomeness?

Join over 100,000 people who are getting awesome tips on how to eat healthier and live happier.