Average home prices have risen to about $300,000 these past few years. While the location of the homes may have a significant impact on the price of the home, the house itself costs a lot of money, a lot more than what most people can afford. This is why many people are choosing alternative ways to live. Modern urban ingenuity allowed us to create and make use of living spaces that would have been considered absurd at any other point in time. The deteriorating economy, rising levels of pollution and rapid increase in population forced people to consider more eco-friendlier ways. The newest solution for living spaces? Shipping containers. People are building actual homes from these containers. It’s called cargo container architecture. It’s super cheap, compact and eco-friendly.
Why Shipping Containers?
Shipping containers typically cost only $1800 – $5000 (some as little as $800) depending on their size. They are readily available for purchase as containers that are shipped to their final destinations are usually too expensive to ship back. These containers are also eco-friendly, as they are re-purposed into homes instead of being melted down when they are scrapped or shipped back empty. Containers are also “virtually indestructible”. Typical homes in the US seem like they are made of paper, they can’t handle extreme climate conditions. Containers, on the other hand, are tough. They are build to handle heavy loads, harsh climate conditions, and being handled by cranes. Containers can also be easily stacked to form multi-story homes. These sturdy houses can be welded together and built in a very short time, and handle just about anything that is thrown at them. Just like with any other irregular structures, container homes do have some disadvantages, so be sure to do some research. Here are some modern container homes that you can drool over.
1. Container Guest House by Jim Poteet
Comes with a cute rooftop garden as well!
And that hardwood floor.
2. Off Grid Container Home in Nederland, Colorado
3. Super Bright and Modern Beach Home in Redondo Beach
Oh, and it comes with a gorgeous backyard too…
Back view of the home
4. Sunny New Zealand Beach Home
It’s even cozier at night!
Maybe too cozy! Who said containers can’t have fireplaces?
5. Container home/childhood dream come true
6. New Jerusalem Orphanage in South Africa
28 donated shipping containers were built together to form this beautiful home for kids
7. Your dream cottage in the woods
8. Accordion Style Modern Red Home
If you ever decide to move, these elements pop back into place for easy transportation.
9. Tony’s Organic Farm Building (packing station, visitor center, hotel, and office)
10. High ceiling container home that has a….
Another house inside of it!
11. Starbucks Drive-Through made from a Repurposed Shipping Container (Tukwila, Washington)
12. Get cozy in this hobbit-like container dwelling that blends with the environment
13. This Youthful design by Marcio Kogan embraces the container look
and their beautiful colors.
14. Made entirely from recycled materials and embraces off-grid lifestyle
15. Talk about an entrance to your home! (Kalkin House, Vermont)
You can be indoors and outdoors at the same time! Feel the breeze.
16. Winter Getaway in Quebec, Canada. Took 7 containers to make!
17. There is a Beach House in Hamptons Made out of Containers!
The ceilings need no further decoration!
18. Bright Modern Barbie-Like Home
19. Beautiful Two Story Container Home Embraces its Looks
20. This home is located in the Mojave dessert! Almost makes you want to move there. Almost.
21. Modern Cabin in the Woods that Will Bring Back your Childhood Memories
22. A modern twist on the container home design in Chile!
23. Holiday Cabin in Sri Lanka
Built on an army base, made from reclaimed materials including the shipping container, old weapons boxes and remaining bunker materials.
24. This home in San Jose utilizes it’s slightly slanted roof to let hot air out and cool air in
The price tag? Only $40,000 to build!
But the view is priceless.
Looking for more awesomeness?
Join over 100,000 people who are getting awesome tips on how to eat healthier and live happier.