Whatever your reason to eat gluten-free is, it can be quite tough to spot gluten on the food labels if you don’t know what to look for. Until every label tells you that the food is gluten free or not, you will have do your best to use common sense and knowledge to distinguish gluten free foods from others. Wheat containing products will usually list wheat at the end of the igredients, so it’s easy to spot. The problem is, gluten isn’t an ingredient in foods, so it’s not listed as such. It’s just a naturally occurring protein in cereal grains which can be found in things like seitan, malt, spelt, etc.
We took the time to assemble well known gluten ingredients into one list. It may seem like a lot of stuff, but understanding that gluten basically comes to grain (wheat, barley and rye) related ingredients and a little shopping practice will make it a breeze for you.
Feel free to print this list out to make it easier for yourself.
Food Ingredients on The Food Label That Contain Gluten
- Barley (flakes, flour, pearl)
- Barley grass
- Breading, bread stuffing
- Brewer’s yeast
- Bulgur (type of wheat)
- Couscous (made from wheat)
- Durum (type of wheat)
- Farina (made from wheat)
- Farro/faro (may be known as dinkel or spelt)
- Graham flour
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein
- Hydrolyzed wheat starch
- Kamut (type of wheat)
- Malt, malt extract, malt syrup, malt flavoring (malt is made from barley)
- Malt vinegar
- Malted milk
- Matzo meal
- Modified wheat starch
- Oatmeal, oat bran, oat flour, whole oats (pure and uncontaminated oats are gluten free)
- Pasta (typically made from wheat, unless indicated otherwise)
- Rye bread and flour
- Seitan (meal-like food that’s made from wheat gluten, used in many vegetarian meals)
- Spelt (type of wheat also known as farro, faro, or dinkel)
- Wheat bran
- Wheat flour/bread flour/bleached flour
- Wheat germ oil or extract (will be cross contaminated)
- Wheat grass (will be cross contaminated)
- Wheat protein
- Wheat starch
Courtesy of www.Organics.org
Looking for more awesomeness?
Join over 100,000 people who are getting awesome tips on how to eat healthier and live happier.