So summer is finally here and you may finally have some time for yourself. You can use this time to make quite a few awesome things that will impress your family and friends. It will also benefit your health. So try it out, or pass it down to willing friends. Here are 5 awesome healthy things that you make yourself this summer.
1. How to Make Natural Sunscreen (DIY)
NOTE: Please omit zinc oxide from the recipe to make a truly natural and toxic free version of this sunscreen, especially during preparation. Zinc oxide can affect the lungs and reproductive system if inhaled. Replace the zinc oxide with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil which helps increase the sun protection factor (SPF).
Recipe: (SPF 6-8)
2 tablespoon Virgin Coconut Oil
1 tablespoon Shea Butter
1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1/2 teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel
Keep in mind that this recipe will not allow you to stay in the sun for hours without burning, even if you have darker skin. If you have pale skin and are prone to burning in very short periods, this recipe will only modestly protect you when UV rays are at their highest strength. Intermittent periods spent in the shade are highly recommended to balance the UV dose you receive.
Source: Prevent Disease
2. How To Make Natural Vanilla Extract (DIY)
Making your own vanilla extract is actually very simple. All you need is the following:
- Vanilla beans
- glass container
Of course it can be made and stored in a polyethylene plastic container, but the results are much better in a glass container that can be sealed.
1. Take the number of vanilla beans you require (1 per 1/3 – 1/2 cup vodka) and slice them lengthwise so the side is split or open. Bisect the beans as needed for fitting into your particular container.
2. Place your beans into the container and fill with the appropriate amount of vodka. Again that’s approx. 1 bean per 1/3 to 1/2 cup of vodka.
3. Now seal and place in a cool location out of sunlight for approx. 6-8 weeks. Of course the longer you let is sit, the stronger and more intense the flavor will become.
You can find excellent bulk vanilla beans here for larger batches:
Hermetic bottles perfect for making extracts can be found here:
1L bottle: http://amzn.to/14neETO
Of course simply purchasing a glass bottle of vodka, large or small, and adding the proper amount of vanilla beans is an excellent and quick way to simply get the process over with. The only hurdle at that point would be the labeling on the bottle, if that matters to you.
Now as you use the extract, simply top off the jar with more vodka as needed. The same bean(s) can be reused for quite some time. As soon as your solution is no longer darkening or it begins to lose flavor, simply replace or add more vanilla bean(s) as required.
Source: Simply Recipes
3. How to Make Raw Vegan Mayonnaise (DIY)
- 3/4 cups water (or less)
- 1 1/2 cups of macadamia nuts (expensive but worth it)
- 3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices (basil, thyme, oregano or combo of all – whatever you have)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of cayenne
- Put all the ingredients in a blender, blend and enjoy.
Source: The Rawtarian
4. How to Make Organic Strawberry Jam (DIY)
- 1 1/2 pints organic strawberries
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice or 1 whole lemon
- Cut your strawberries. Hull your strawberries and cut into halves. Make sure you still have a pint and a half of berries. Wash thoroughly and set aside.
- Make syrup. In a large pot, mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 cup of sugar. Over low heat, dissolve sugar mixture for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook strawberries. Over low heat, cook the strawberries with the syrup mixture. I usually let simmer for 30-45 minutes. To check and make sure it is ready, pour a tiny amount on a plate and put in the freezer for 3 minutes. If it gels, then it is ready.
- Blend Strawberries and Sauce. In a glass blender, liquify the strawberry mix. Be sure to hold the lid down when blending. If you have a plastic blender, let the mixture cool first.
- Jar The Jam. Pour your blended jam into a glass jar and seal. Let sit for 5 hours and then store in fridge. You can also serve warm if you want. Enjoy!
5. How to Make Organic Jalapeno Salsa (DIY)
- 3 cups chopped peeled cored tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in large sauce pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Adjust 2-piece caps.
- Process for 15 minutes in boiling-water canner
This salsa will last 12 months after canning.
Looking for more awesomeness?
Join over 100,000 people who are getting awesome tips on how to eat healthier and live happier.