Sugar Free Organic Fruit Cake
Even though summer is just starting to wind down, it’s never too early to start thinking about the holidays. I have a gigantic sweet tooth and inevitably end up spending hours in the kitchen baking up delicious goodies for my entire family. However, as my father is diabetic, I have to make sure every treat that ends up with my parents is safe for him to enjoy.
And so, in the spirit of the not too distant holiday season, I’d like to share my sugar free organic fruit cake recipe.
(all ingredients can be purchased organic)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 ½ teaspoons powdered stevia sweetener
1 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 cup chopped golden raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut
¼ cup lemon zest
1 ½ cups wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sweetener with orange juice. Add chopped cranberries and soak for 30 minutes, mixing often.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss raisins, walnuts, coconut and lemon zest in flour until well coated.
- Add orange juice mixture, baking soda and spices. Mix well.
- Fold in crushed pineapple.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake 50-55 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.
My father is particularly fond of this fruit cake, so I always whip up a couple loaves especially for him. I wrap the cakes in wax paper and tie them up with colorful string before delivering to friends and family. It just adds that little extra holiday touch!
Stacy Harrison is an avid baker, cycler and eco-nut. As a freelance writer for Amazon Origins, she loves sharing her knowledge of nutritious foods and vitamins.
Looking for more awesomeness?
Join over 100,000 people who are getting awesome tips on how to eat healthier and live happier.